This colour scheme has been through a few iterations in the last couple of weeks. Initially I had much brighter metals and pastel cloaks (below), to echo what I'd painted with my Genestealer Cult, to show there was little difference between loyal servants of the Imperium, and those on a different path ... but it was too similar.
As I just finished re-reading Dark Adeptus by Ben Counter, the scheme was modified with the remaining loyal inhabitants of Chaeronia in mind. After a thousand years, any loyalists left would have adopted a more practical approach - with well worn leathers, dulled metals and nothing overtly shiny to attract attention. Even in the world of the Adeptus Mechanicus, the environment they have to face on a daily basis is a harsh, unforgiving one.
Much happier with these, even if achieving something leather-esque took a lot longer. If you're interested in the recipe ...
- Light Rust
- Smokey Ink glaze
- Light Rust stippled to create an irregular texture
- Light Rust + Elf Skintone (4:1) stippled on highlights
- Soft Tone to knock back the brightness of the Elf Skintone
- Light Rust + Elf Skintone (2:1) stippled along edges
- Flat Black glaze into shadows
- Brown Leather glaze on midtones to soften any transition to black
- Black Red stippling to break up surfaces
- Elf Skintone scratches
- Black Red glaze to soften the scratches